Friday, December 14, 2012

It's the winter break!

First of all, I want to thank Allah S.W.T for everything that I have got in my life. I feel so blessed that I am still living with a good health at this moment and am still practicing Islam as the way of life. It has been a long time since I updated my blog. I had no time to write in this blog because I was busy with my homework and my class projects in this semester.  Now I have a plenty of time to post this entry since I am done with the fall semester. Yeah, it is the time for a winter break!!!

I just finished  my last final exam yesterday and I am glad that this semester went well as I hoped. Even though I did not get A for all the classes I took, yet I feel satisfied that I have learnt a lot of new information in geosciences, geography and Spanish.

I am thankful that I have joined a Toastmaster club at the university and met a few friends from different countries with different background. By joining this club, I hope to improve my public speaking skills in English as well as my confidence in speaking proper English in front of other people.

The objectives of this club are to enhance our speaking ability,  to teach us how to deliver speech in public as well as to boost our listening, leadership  and thinking skills. Alhamdulillah that I already attended the club meeting four times and have been familiar to how this club works. Each club member is assigned a  role that includes grammarian, ah counter, timer, evaluator, general evaluator, speaker and toastmaster before the meeting that is held on Thursday every week. .

I was chosen to become a timer for the last meeting this year which was held yesterday. I felt a bit awkward as it was my first time being the timer. A timer needs to record the time of speech for each speaker, and signals the speaker with three different color cards to show how many time has elapsed and gives the report at the end of the on how much time they spent in delivering their speech.

I think I did a good job but still there is a room to improve before I become an expert timer in this club. I look forward to giving my first ice breaking presentation next year and practicing other roles for each meeting.

I have not had any plan to do for this winter break. For now,  I am still planning a list of beneficial activities that I should do so that I would not waste my free time without doing anything.

No comments: